Crossword Puzzle for
Topics 7-8: Apes and Humans
2. The genus and species of all
living humans today.
4. A part of the body that was
greatly modified as the ancestors
of humans became bipedal.
7. The primate species that has the
most varied and complex social
organizations. They are also the
only primates to create and use
symbols as a means of
8. The family of hominoids in which
11. The term for having only one mate
at a time.
13. The continent where bonobos live
in the wild.
15. The family of hominoids in which
humans and the great apes belong.
16. A great ape from Southeast Asia.
1. An ape that is a knuckle walker.
They have the largest bodies of
any primate species alive today.
3. The most biologically successful
of all primates in terms of the
extent of their geographic range
and the size of their total
5. An ape species in which adults
regularly defend their territory
against others with piercingly
loud whooping and hooting
6. The African ape that hunts other
animals for food--about 10% of
their diet consists of meat.
8. The superfamily to which all apes
and humans belong.
9. The form of locomotion in which an
animal travels through the trees
by swinging under branches with a
hand over hand motion rather than
running along the top.
10. How many times larger the human
brain is compared to those of the
12. A lesser ape from Southeast Asia
14. The general descriptive term for
the type of family consisting of
an adult male and female mating
pair along with their children.
Copyright © 2005-2009
by Dennis O'Neil.
All rights reserved.