Related Internet Sites
- Folk Medicine in Hispanics in the Southwestern United States (a good description of the Mexican and Southwestern U.S. Hispanic folk medical practices with examples and illustrations--by Nancy Neff, M.D., Baylor College of Medicine)
- Humoral pathology (descriptions of naturalistic medical systems other than the modern Western medical system with a good bibliography produced by Steven Crouthamel, Palomar College)
- The Origins of Mexican Folk Medicine (a brief history by Annette Sandoval; in Planeta.com: Eco Travels in Latin America)
Culture-Bound Mental Syndromes:
- Beyond Western Medical Techniques: Ethnomedicine (a source for online links)
- Culture-Bound Psychopathology (short descriptions of the symptoms and cultures for 24 culture-bound syndromes produced by Jim Nelson)
- Culture Bound Syndromes (short description of the general characteristics of culture-bound syndromes by Timothy M. Hall at U.C.S.D.)
- Culture-Bound Syndromes in China (a well done listing with links created for "Traditional Chinese Society", a course by Timothy M. Hall at U.C.S.D.)
- Index of Culture-Bound Syndromes around the world (a well done listing with links created for "Traditional Chinese Society", a course by Timothy M. Hall at U.C.S.D.)
- Koro (shook yang) (description of koro with examples and references; in The Skeptics Dictionary)
- Changes in the Incidence of Vector-borne Diseases Attributable to Climate Change (a summary with good links; Socio-economic Data Applications Center, Columbia University, New York)
- Current Status of Vector-borne Diseases around the World (a summary with good links; Socio-economic Data Applications Center, Columbia University, New York)
- Society for Medical Anthropology (news, views, academic resources, and other online information related to medical anthropology--this is the official website of the Society for Medical Anthropology of the American Anthropological Association)
DISCLAIMER: The Internet links listed above take you outside of this tutorial. No representation is made concerning the content of these sites, nor do the links to these sites serve as endorsements.
This page was last updated on
Wednesday, February 08, 2012.
Copyright © 2002-2012 by Dennis O'Neil. All rights reserved.