Crossword Puzzle for
Biological Basis of Heredity
Topic 1: Basic Cell Structures
1. The selectively permeable membrane
enclosing a cell.
5. A term for the kind of cell that
has a true nucleus and that
divides by mitosis.
8. A constriction in a chromosome
where two or more chromatids come
9. A gene on the Y chromosome which,
if present and functioning, causes
the undifferentiated sex organs of
an animal embryo to become testes.
11. The X and Y chromosomes which are
responsible for determining
whether an individual is a male or
12. A term for the kind of cell that
lacks a true nucleus and divides
by simple fission rather than
14. A sex chromosome that is found in
both males and females.
15. A standardized arrangement of
pictures of an individualís
2. The selectively permeable membrane
enclosing the nucleus of a cell.
3. Chromosomes that are paired during
meiosis. They are alike in size,
and they also have the same genes,
but not necessarily the same
alleles, at the same locus or
4. A kind of thread-like, gene-
carrying body in the cell nucleus.
6. All chromosomes other than sex
7. The term for all of the material
within a cell between the nuclear
and cell membranes. This material
consists of water-rich viscous gel
that contains numerous structures
involved with cell function.
8. One of two or more strands or arms
of a chromosome.
10. A chromosome that is normally
found only in males.
13. The smallest organic unit capable
of carrying out all of the
functions normally attributed to
life. It is a complex unit of
protoplasm, usually with a
nucleus, cytoplasm, and an
All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2005 by